For a toddler, a pool can mean certain death. Did you know that drowning is the number one cause of death for children under five in some states?
We’re talking about responsible parents who were careful and had close supervision over their kids. Most were educated, made good money and could afford nice homes with swimming pools.
Here are some pretty scary facts:
- 69 percent of toddler drownings occurred while one or both parents were home
- 77 percent of the children that drowned had been seen 5 minutes before being missed
- 46 percent weren’t outside prior to being found in the pool
- 39 percent of the parents were doing chores when these drownings happened
What Can Be Done For Safety?Although 69 percent of toddler drownings occurred while one or both parents were home, supervision is still going to be your most important safety feature. But, there should be backup safety features.
Here are a few that we think are important:
- Doors from your house to the pool area should have high locks
- An alarm should also be placed on that door, also high up so the toddler cannot turn it off
- A fence surrounding the pool
- Alarm your pool
- Water survival training for your toddler
If you have any questions or concerns about pool safety, please contact Tropical Pools and Pavers.